Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Most Important Part of Life

If I told you that I knew what the most important thing in life was, would you believe me? Would you take a moment and hear what I have to say? The truth is so obvious, yet people seem to miss it. People go their whole lives missing out on the greatest aspect of life. And they have the nerve to call me blind? I may be somewhat blind to the physical world, but what I am able to see far more clearly is of greater importance.

My life, through it’s ups and downs, can only be described as unique. Growing up in church, it was often said that I was “set apart”, and to this day, I’ve never really liked that sentiment. I’ve always been a man of a few friends. I was the kid in school that everyone really liked and respected, but never really hung out with. I had the unfortunate experience of turning 16 and being one of the few who didn’t drive and never would. This one factor has had the greatest impact on my life, even more than visual impairment itself. Finding a job, visiting friends, attending college, going on dates, all a challenge. The result? A lot of time to myself.

The other great contributing factor to this discovery of mine has a lot to do with my upbringing. I grew up in a broken home with no dad. My upbringing was harsh and I saw a lot of drugs, alcohol, and violence. For 12 years, I grew up without any siblings, and then my baby sister came into the world. Ten months later, she passed away. No more siblings. But this one sibling, whom I loved very much, was the beginning of the journey which would lead me to the greatest discovery of my life.

Why am I unraveling my life in front of an audience of reading eyes? Because this is my story and my testimony. All of this has lead me to understanding what I believe is the most important aspect of life. You see, when people told me that I was “set apart”, I always thought that it meant that people were a problem. As if people were some kind of hindrance or just a source of drama and conflict. But over time, my experiences have taught me that people are more important than anything else. And I have decided that, in every aspect of my life, to make people my passion. I’m done with this “set apart” lifestyle!

It all started when I lost my baby sister. The first person that I ever really loved, and the first person that I ever felt genuine, consistent love from. Because of that, even though she’s gone, she’s always with me reminding me what love is. As for my upbringing and not having a dad? The only thing all that has done is inspire me to one day be the best husband and father this world has ever seen, and I will be. Everything I’ve been through has taught me that people are my purpose and my passion. I’ve learned how to love deeply, how to be a true friend, and when I say I care, I mean it.

I realized a long time ago that God didn’t put me here to keep me from people, but to be a person who cares about people. So that’s exactly what I choose to devote my life to. I have walked through every kind of hurt. Feeling heartbroken, inadequate, hopeless, lonely, unlovable, and helpless. But I’ve walked through all of that and I am confident in who I am. I’ve never stopped putting my faith in God and my faith in love. And I know that there are people all over that are in the battle of their lives against all the things that I’ve dealt with, and all I want to do is join the fight.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in life are the people in it. When God created the world, he named everything good. The very first thing God saw that wasn't good was, "to be alone". So God saw our greatest need and made it the most beautiful part of life. Our need for love and our need for each other.

You are important, you matter, and you are worthy of every kind of love. Never forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment